Website of Host University:
Saint Mary's University - Barcelona, Spain
Spanish Studies Abroad offers an exceptional opportunity for cross-cultural study in Barcelona, Spain. You will be enrolled in the Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF). Centrally located in the heart of Barcelona, UPF is a modern day university with a fantastic array of courses. As an urban study abroad student you will be immersed in both Spanish and Catalan. You will benefit from the university's central location. Some features of the program include:
- U.S.–compatible curriculum
- Guided direct enrollment at UPF
- Guidance in synthesizing the immersion experience
- Speaking Partner exchanges with local students
- Modern university facilities with full access, including clubs, organization, and events
- Day and overnight study trips and excursions
- Homestays and Meals included
- On-site Resident Director and support staff
- Courses taught in English, Spanish, and Catalan by UPF staff
In 2010, the Universitat Pompeu Fabra was awarded the distinction of International Excellence Campus by the Spanish Ministry of Education and it is widely considered to be one of the best universities in Spain, ranking 1st in scientific productivity in Spain in 2010. Founded in 1990, it is named after the Catalan philologist Pompeu Fabra.
Website of Program/University:
Spanish Studies - Barcelona, Spain
Country and/or City Information: As Spain’s second largest city, Barcelona embodies every quality of a European city. Experience the typical hustle and bustle of a busy city on La Rambla, take a stroll through one of the many barrios or enjoy any of its famous Mediterranean beaches. The urban city is host to several UNESCO World Heritage Sites, attracting millions of tourists each year.
Just a little of what Barcelona has to offer:
- Subtropical and Mediterranean climate
- Cosmopolitan coastal city
- World class arts and entertainment
- Famous for Gaudi, Dali, Miro and Picasso
- UNESCO World Heritage sights
- Beautiful Beaches
- Fashion Center
Learn more about the culture of Barcelona
To be eligible, you must have completed at least 1 semester of college-level Spanish or the equivalent and have a 3.0 GPA in Spanish course work.
As a Spanish Studies Abroad student you have one housing option:
Homestays: Your Spanish home will be the focal point of your social experience– where you will sleep, eat, study, and relax. A homestay gives you a unique insight into Spanish culture by allowing you to become part of a Spanish family.
Your homestay includes full room and board as well as laundry and the cleaning of your room. Special dietary or housing accommodations may be made, but may require an additional fee. To ensure that your home will provide a warm and tranquil atmosphere, one conducive to learning, Spanish Studies Abroad staff discusses norms and policies with hosts and regularly inspects the homes.
Scholarship and Funding Information
Visit Spanish Studies online
Contact your Study Abroad Office